CURRENT PROGRAMMES OF THE BANGKOK BIOMATERIAL CENTER
CURRICULUM - STUDIES
1. Undergraduate: lecture and demonstration.
2. Postgraduate: lecture for residency training programme and other medical personnel.
RESEARCH AND SERVICES
1. Development of technical laboratory to have safer quality of tissue Allograft especially free from HIV.
2. Initiation on controlling temperature at 57 °C for 4 hours to inactivate HIV.
3. High temperature treatment of tissue Allograft to eliminate protein from bones Allograft.
4. Chemical sterilization of tissue Allograft by using hypochlorite solution.
5. Clinical research on the utilization of tissue Allograft by the supply of tissue Allograft (bone, cartilage,
dura mater, fascia lata and amniotic membrane) to 57 hospitals, 215 surgeons and follow up the
result of these clinical applications of Allografts.
6. Scerela banking by sterilizing in 60° C water bath for 2 hours and drying by freeze, started 2nd Feb.1995.
Supply tissue Allograft to 54 domestic hospitals, 1 hospital in Philippines, 2 hospitals in Jakarta and
Hospital in Sri Lanka (deep frozen Allograft).
Foundation of tissue donation research has been established for tracing live donors.
Donor Society set up with 553 members.
IAEA expert mission to Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
First seminar on Tissue Donation Request started in December 1997 on the supply of tissue Allograft.
Demonstrations on bone Allograft at Hatyai Hospital.
Training of fellowship students from Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos PDR.
Regular TV programme on various TV channels like channel 11, 9,7,3 of Thailand for the education of the general public to the need to Tissue & Allograft donation and also their applications.
Presented the tissue banking experience at the 7th International Conference on Tissue Banking of APASTB.held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and preparations for future presentations.
Regular Press Conferences, Public shows, Public Exhibitions, Publications in various Magazines, and other activities are organized by the center for the promotion of Tissue & Allograft donation concept among the general public and also to inform them of the applications of Tissue & Allograft.
Preparations for the Publication of "Journal of Bone & Tissue Allografts" are underway and the first issue is expected to be printed in June 1999. This will be the first Journal of its kind in the Asia-Pacific Region exclusively dedicated to the Uses, Applications and other scientific details of Bone & Tissue Allografts.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS ON CURRENT PROGRAMMES, PLEASE CONTACT THE RESEARCH & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS CO-ORDINATOR AT THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS : email@example.com